Lip Colors That Brighten Your Teeth
Teeth whitening at home is simple enough. But when you're on the go this season, the right lipstick can make your smile look instantly brighter. Here's how to find a shade that works wonders.
Lip Colors That Whiten
“Any color that creates contrast will make your smile pop,” explains Sonia Kashuk, makeup artist and founder of Sonia Kashuk Beauty. A bold, cool-toned lip color is perfect for maximum whitening, says Kashuk.
Reds, berries or hot-pink shades with blue undertones are also good options: They’ll make your smile look brighter and more youthful.
Lip Colors to Avoid
Believe it or not, the wrong lip color can actually make your teeth look yellower. “It's the yellow- and orange-based colors that can accent the negative so teeth don’t look white,” says celebrity makeup artist Julie Hewett. Another type to steer clear of: Lip colors that look muddy. They tend to make teeth look more yellow, says Kashuk.
How can you tell if a lip color is cool-toned or warm-toned? Remember that cool-toned shades are blue-based, while warm-toned hues are a bit more brown-based. “If the color resembles strawberries or raspberries, it's a blue-based color,” explains Hewett. “If it resembles a pumpkin, then it's more yellow-based.”
Find the Right Lipstick Now
Ready to make over your smile? Try one of these shades to make your pearly whites look even whiter now:
- Topshop Matte Finish Moisturizing Lipstick in All About Me, $15 at Topshop.com
- Sonia Kashuk Ultra Luxe Lip Gloss in Ravishing Rose, $9 at Target.com
- Hard Candy All Glossed Up Hydrating Lip Stain in Love Bite, $5 at Walmart.com
- Girlactik Beauty Pout Shine in Stunning, a sheer berry with gold sparkles, $19 at Girlactik.com
- Becca Ultimate Colour Gloss in Flamingo Crush Deep Fuchsia, $24 at BeccaCosmetics.com
- Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Crème Bronzer, $10.99 at Target.com